Big win for Arrows in Cape Town

Golden Arrows came back from a goal down to beat Chippa United 2-1 in an Absa Premiership match played at Philippi on Wednesday night.

The home side dominated the first half and scored early on through Benjani Mwaruwari, but allowed the KZN side to score through Musa Bilankulu and Norman Smith to clinch the game in the second half.

Chippa started the game with a real sense of urgency, with Philani Dlamini finding acres of space and time down the left, but unable to find accuracy with his crosses and his shots.

But the home supporters did not have to wait long for a reason to celebrate, thanks to Benjani Mwaruwari’s coolly taken 10th minute goal.

The Zimbabwean showed all of his experience and composure as he beat a high off-side trap before rounding keeper Nkosingphile Gumede 40-yards out from goal and then holding off a challenge to slot the ball into an empty net.

Five minutes later and the former Portsmouth striker should have added a second, again finding himself clean through on goal but then taking too heavy a touch, which allowed Gumede to make a brave block.

The hosts were finding huge holes in the Arrows defence and it was Mwaruwari who again soon found himself bearing down on goal, but on this occasion he tried to square the ball for Welcome Qalanto, but the pass was not where it should have been.

Qalanto was then guilty of missing an open goal - Andile Mbenyane had been denied on the edge of the area by Gumede, the ball breaking for Qalanto who fired over an empty net from 20-yards out.

Arrows finished the first half with a bang when Lucky Nguzana created space in midfield before threading a great ball through for Norman Smith, but the much-travelled marksman lost his composure and the chance came to nothing.

The home side had the first chance of the second half, but Dlamini’s effort at the back post left a lot to be desired.

Joshua Sauls, on for an injured Mwaruwari, also threw away a perfectly good chance to score when he went around keeper Gumede but then sent a half-hearted shot goal wards, which allowed defender Jabulani Nene to clear the ball off his own line.

These misses were to come back to haunt Wilfred Mugeyi’s side as the Durbanites hit back with two quick goals.

The first goal came in the 53rd minute as Musa Bilankulu popped up in the box to head home Smith’s well-flighted cross.

And 12 minutes later Arrows were in front as Smith pounced from close range after Kassaly failed to hold a speculative long range shot.

Chippa rallied late on, giving Gumede and his teammates some anxious moments at the back, but Abafana bes’thende held firm for the three points.

Chippa United (1) 1 (Mwaruwari 10’)

Golden Arrows (0) 2 (Bilankulu 53’, Smith 64’)