No goals at Moses Mabhida

Neither side could be separated in 90 minutes as the Absa Premiership match between AmaZulu and Mamelodi Sundowns at the Moses Mabhida stadium on Sunday afternoon finished goalless.

The result means AmaZulu move up one place on the table to 12th with 28 points while Sundowns stay in 11th place on 32 points.

The first 45 minutes was action packed, but despite the numerous attempts on goal by both sides neither team could break the deadlock in the opening stanza.

Instead, it was a half characterised by poor decision making in the final third and some woeful finishing.

AmaZulu had the first effort on goal in the sixth minute when Andile Khumalo met a Njabulo Manqana cross, but he saw his header sail narrowly over the bar from close range.

Two minutes later and Sundowns were on the attack as Hlompo Kekana let fly from 30-yards out, but his shot went over the crossbar.

In the 12th minute Sundowns were on the attack with another long range effort from Tebogo Langerman but his 25-yard shot also went high and wide.

Three minutes later Edward Manqele should have opened the scoring for the Brazilians when he found himself in space inside the 18-yard box, but his effort went wide of the right-hand post.

In the 17th minute a well-worked set-piece from AmaZulu saw Ayanda Dlamini with a header from 12-yards out, but his attempt went inches wide of the left post.

The match started to slow after that as both teams became a little more cautious in attack and opted to tighten up at the back.

Consequently, the next chance on goal came in the 34th minute as AmaZulu’s Thamsanqa Teyise fired a thunderbolt goalwards from 30-yards out, but his effort went over the bar, summing up a first half stuttered with poor shooting from both teams.

The second 45 saw Sundowns doing the early pressing as Kekana worked himself into space just inside the 18-yard area, but his shot lacked the quality of the build-up as he fired wide two minutes after the restart.

Seven minutes later Jabulani Shongwe threatened the AmaZulu goal with a 25-yard shot, but this time, while the shot was on target, it was superbly tipped over the cross bar by Tapuwa Kapini.

Kapini was called into action again in the 70th minute, this time producing a great acrobatic stop to deny Langerman from 12-yards out.

Substitute Elias Pelembe had the last decent chance of the match eight minutes from time as he found space inside the box, but like his compatriots the whole afternoon, he fired wide of the target to see the match end all square.