Wits thump AmaZulu in Nedbank Cup

Bidvest Wits progressed to the quarterfinals of the Nedbank Cup when they defeated AmaZulu 4-1 at the Princess Magogo Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Papy Faty scored a brace and Sithembiso Ngcobo and Sibusiso Vilakazi were also on target for Wits, before Usuthu pulled one goal back in added time through an own-goal from Kwanda Ngonyama.

The Clever Boys played the final twenty minutes with ten men on the field following the dismissal of Phumlani Ntshangase but still managed to keep AmaZulu at bay for most parts of the game.

The hosts came close to breaking the deadlock in the third minute when Bongani Ndulula was played through on the left side of the box but his shot was blocked by Moeneeb Josephs.

However, it was the visitors who broke the deadlock in the 15th minute when Philani Zikalala was beaten by a header from Ngcobo after coming off his line to try and cut a cross.

Four minutes later Ndulula played a well-weighted pass to release Ayanda Dlamini on the right side of the box, but he could only drag his shot wide of the far post.

The Clever Boys doubled their lead in the 29th minute as the ball deflected off Faty and into the back off the net after Usuthu had failed to clear a long throw-in from Ntshangase.

Gavin Hunt’s side had another opportunity in the 33rd minute as Sibusiso Vilakazi offloaded the ball to Jabulani Shongwe on the left side of the box, but he blasted his shot over the crossbar.

Two minutes later Usuthu had an opportunity to pull one goal back when a freekick was delivered towards Carlington Nyadombo on the far post, but the central defender could only direct his header wide of goal.

Wits increased their lead in the 51st minute when AmaZulu failed to clear another throw-in from Ntshangase, allowing Siboniso Gumede to flick the ball towards Faty, who then finished with an overhead kick at the far post.

Craig Rosslee’s side threatened to reduce the deficit six minutes later as Ruzaigh Gamildien’s cross picked out Ndulula on the left side of the box, but his headed effort was cleared away by Gumede.

In the 62nd minute Goodman Dlamini found substitute Lucky Nguzana inside the box, who then turned before firing a low shot on target, but Josephs was able to make a comfortable save.

Wits were reduced to ten men eight minutes later as Ntshangase received his second caution of the match following a foul on Nkosinathi Mthiyane.

Despite the numerical disadvantage, the Clever Boys were able to extend their lead in the 78th minute as Asive Langwe broke through on the left before squaring the ball for Vilakazi to fire home from just outside the box.

Usuthu scored a late consolation goal in the 94th minute as Kwanda Ngonyama deflected the ball into his own net while trying to clear a low cross from Nguzana.

AmaZulu (0) 1 (Ngonyama o.g. 90 + 4’)
Bidvest Wits (2) 4 (Ngcobo 15’, Faty 29’ 51’, Vilakazi 78’)

AmaZulu: Zikalala, Horaeb (Van Heerden 75’), Wolff, Nyadombo, Teyise, Madondo, Gamildien (Nguzana 58’), A Dlamini, Manqana (Mthiyane 58’), G Dlamini, Ndulula

Wits: Josephs, Gumede, Kadi (Langwe 45+2’), Vilakazi (Isaacs 80’), Faty, Ngcobo, Nhlapo, Bhasera, Mngonyama, Shongwe (Madubanya 74’), Ntshangase