Ajax still winless this season

Ajax Cape Town are still awaiting their first win this season after they were beaten 2-0 at Cape Town Stadium by SuperSport United in an Absa Premiership clash on Saturday night.

Jeremy Brockie’s early penalty and a late goal from Reneilwe Letsholonyane proved to be the difference between the teams in what was new Urban Warriors coach Stanley Menzo’s first match in charge.

SuperSport were gifted an early penalty when Roscoe Pietersen handled Thabo Mnyamane’s cross in the 18-yard area. Jeremy Brockie expertly beat Jody February from the spot to put the visitors ahead in the third minute.

Pietersen was cautioned for his hand-ball and he was just the first of four Ajax players booked inside the first stanza, as Eric Chipeta, Ndiviwe Mdabuka and Erwin Isaacs also got themselves into trouble with the referee.

Both sides created further goal scoring chances in the first half, but the closest either came to adding to the score line was a shot from Ajax’s Isaacs on 33 minutes, but he was denied by a fine diving stop from Ronwen Williams.

SuperSport nearly doubled their advantage just before the hour mark, with Brockie getting the better of February with his shot, only to see the ball rebound off the upright and roll away to safety.

Late in the game, with Ajax throwing men forward, United enjoyed a couple of fruitful counter attacks but they weren’t quite able to kill off the game, with February producing a notable save on 85 minutes to deny Thuso Phala.

However, in injury time, the Tshwane visitors finally made it 2-0 when Reneilwe Letsholonyane provided a left-foot finish to seal the points.

Ajax Cape Town 0
SuperSport United (1) 2 (Brockie 3’ pen, Letsholonyane 90+1’)

Ajax: February, Pietersen, Chipeta (Mateza 65’), Coetzee, Lebusa, Mdabuka, Mosadi (Mayambela 80’), Isaacs, Mzwakali, Morris, Nxumalo

SuperSport: Williams, Boxall, Gould, Daniels, Bhasera, Alexander (Phala 78’), Letsholonyane, Furman, Mnyamane, Brockie (Morton 86’), Grobler (Nkhatha 90+1’).