Late Manyama strike denies SuperSport

Lebogang Manyama scored a 93rd minute equaliser as Cape Town City held SuperSport United to a 1-1 draw in an Absa Premiership clash at Cape Town Stadium on Friday.

The Cape Town City skipper's last minute strike cancelling out Kingston Nkhatha's effort, with the point enough to keep the club from the Mother City top of the log standings, with Stuart Baxter's men three points back in second spot.

Matsatsantsa threatened early from set-pieces and had a chance to open the scoring on nine minutes. Mario Booysen, in for Morgan Gould, saw his knock down from a corner-kick fall to Aubrey Modiba, but the former City man was unable to connect to with the ball.

Judas Moseamedi should've opened he scoring two minutes later. A flowing move opening space for the City striker, who failed to find the back of the net with the goal at his mercy.

His right-footed shot was just about kept out by the combination of Reyaad Pieterse and Mario Booysen, with Michael Boxall on hand to clear from danger.

Pieterse again had to be alert in the 22nd minute to keep out Thato Mokeke's low shot from an acute angle as City dominated ball possession.

City continued to look the more likely of the two with a swift counter-attack almost leading to the opener seven minutes later. With Pieterse retreating, Sibusiso Masina tried his luck from range, but the ball was always flying wide.

SuperSport fought their way back into the game towards the back-end of the stanza in what was a hotly contested affair, with the Tshwane club conjuring the final attempt of the half - Thabo Mnyamane seeing his shot straight down the throat of Shu-Aib Walters who was well positioned.

City were always a threat on the counter and after Moseamedi blazed past two SuperSport defenders, the forward did well to pick out Lebogang Manyama at the far post - the City captain guiding his shot into the side-netting with 54 minute on the clock.

Chances were few and far between with both teams' determined to keep a clean-sheet and after Reneilwe Letsholonyane made a perfectly timed run into the area, the former Kaizer Chiefs man could only manage to direct his header over the crossbar in the 77th minute.

Two Kaizer Chiefs men linked up for what looked to be defining moment of the match; Letsholonyane setting up Nkhatha for the games opener following a quick counter that stemmed from well within their own half. The Zimbabwe national left with an easy finish on 82 minutes.

But, Manyama would have the final say as he hammered home from close range after Reyaad Pieterse failed to gather a looping ball into the area, 1-1.

Cape Town City (0) 1 (Manyama 90+3')

SuperSport United (0) 1 (Nkhatha 82')


Cape Town City: Walters; Mokeke, Johannes, Gumede, Mkhize - Matsi (Mashikinya 46') [Akosah-Bempah 85'], Putsche - Ngoma, Manyama, Masina (Nomandela 66') - Moseamedi

SuperSport United: Pieterse; Boxall, Booysen, Daniels ,Bhasera (Farmer 39') - Furman, Letsholonyane, Alexander, Modiba - Mnyamane, Nkhatha (Brockie 84')