SuperSport keep hopes alive with draw

SuperSport United collected a vital point when they drew 0-0 against AC Horoya in their penultimate 2017 Caf Confederation Cup Group D clash at Stade du 28 Septembre in Conakry, Guinea, on Saturday.

The stalemate for Kaitano Tembo's men takes them to the second spot with seven points and they will now wrap up their group stage account against Gabon's CF Mounana at home on July 7.

Horoya were the better side in the opening five minutes as they dominated the proceedings, but failed to find the back of the net.

However, their first opportunity came in the eighth minute, but again they failed to hit the target through Aboubacar Bangoura.

HAC continued to press their visitors and it was Ocansey Mandela whose runs troubled the United defence, but his effort went straight to goalkeeper Ronwen Williams in the 20th minute.

Fifteen minutes later, Thabo Mnyamane received a great pass from the midfield after a good run and was fouled in the box, yet the referee waved play on.

Coach Victor Zvunka's men continued where they left off in the second half and substitute Yacouba Mando saw his well-drilled effort from long range sailing wide of the right post in the 55th minute.

Ten minutes later, United's defence was exposed after Mando beat three defenders with his blistering pace in the box, yet his final shot sailed inches wide of the far post.

Just before the final 10 minutes, Tembo introduced Jeremy Brockie, whose attempted header was swallowed by keeper Khadim Ndiaye.

The last six minutes saw confusion in the match when the referee pointed to the penalty spot after Williams was adjudged to have fouled Horoya's Mandela, but he later changed his decision to award a set piece.

In the end, opportunities were limited in the second half in Conakry as both sides settled for a point apiece.

Zvunka's troops will visit TP Mazembe in their final group match in Lubumbashi on July 7 as they will hope to book their spot in the knockkout stages.