Celtic dispatch United to reach TKO Last Eight

Bloemfontein Celtic claimed a 5-4 penalty shootout win in the Telkom Knockout Cup Last 16 as they beat Supersport United at Dr Molemela Stadium on Saturday evening.

Although the visitors netted through Aubrey Modiba and Jeremy Brockie, Celtic responded when Mbhazima Rikhotso and Jacky Motshegwa made it 2-2.

However, it was Siwelele who bagged a 5-4 win via penalties when Rikhotso, Ndumiso Mabena, Lucky Baloyi, Wandisile Letlabika and Patrick Tignyemb netted.

On the other hand, Thuso Phala, Dean Furman, Modiba and Brockie scored while Clayton Daniels and Fagrie Lakay failed to convert.

It was the hosts who had the advantage when it comes to ball possession and they attacked better than the hosts, but were not able to break downs Siwelele's defence in the opening 15 minutes.

However, the 27th minute saw Sipho Jembula who dived and won a set piece after a foul by Dean Furman, but justice was served as goalkeeper Reyaad Pieterse produced a fine save.

The Tshwane giants were able to break the deadlock in the 31st minute as Modiba beat Tignyemb as his effort went into the roof of the net.

With nine minutes to the interval, Lantshene Phalane went for a long-range strike, but he missed the target.

It was 1-0 at the interval.

Coach Eric Tinkler's side came back with more purpose and Brockie made it 2-0 in 55th minute after a long ball from Dove Wome.

In the 65th minute, the hosts showed a sense of urgency as they pushed to break down United's defence and Motshegwa delivered a brilliant set piece, but Pieterse was equal to the task to parry the ball away for a corner.

Coach Veselin Jelusic's men were wasteful in the box as they created chances in the final third, but they received a penalty after Teboho Mokoena was adjudged to have handled the ball, and Rikhotso netted from the spot for the hosts - making it 2-1 in the 77th minute.

The last eight minutes saw the Bloemfontein-based side attacking and delivered a brilliant cross for Motshegwa to beat Pieterse from close range to level the scores, 2-2.

The encounter went to extra time and Celtic were dealt a huge a blow as Roggert Nyundu received his second booking.

Both halves in the extra time couldn't produce goals and the match had to be decided on penalties.

Bloemfontein Celtic: 5 (AET)

SuperSport United: 4

Bloemfontein Celtic: Tignyemb, Nyondo, Letsoalo, Rikhotso, Ndengane, Pfumbidzai, Baloyi, Letlabika, Jembula (Mabena 67'), Motshegwa, Phalane

SuperSport United: Pieterse, Brockie, Modiba, Nhlapo (Mbule 59'), Kekana, Daniels, Mashamaite, Wome, Myeni, Mokoena, Furman