Mahachi saves SuperSport's blushes

Augustine Dimgba © Gallo Images

SuperSport United fought back to hold Stellenbosch FC to a 1-1 draw in the DStv Premiership match at the Danie Craven Stadium on Friday evening.

The draw saw Stellies remain ninth on the league standings - three points behind eighth-placed Cape Town City, while Matsatsantsa leapfrogged Pirates into third place on the log.

Matsatsantsa controlled the match from the first whistle and they were able to create goalscoring opportunities which they could not convert.

An unmarked Jamie Webber received a cross from the right and he unleashed a tame shot which was easily gathered by Sage Stephens in the Stellies goal-posts in the 18th minute. 

The ball then fell kindly for Sipho Mbule in the box four minutes later and the new Bafana Bafana international's deflected shot was parried away by Stephens. 

SuperSport kept pushing for the opening goal as Evans Rusike's shot was blocked from close range by Stephens, who was having a good game between the sticks for the visitors. 

Stellies did threaten following a quick counter-attack which was started by Stanley Dimgba just before half-time, but Junior Mendieta placed his effort over the crossbar with only SuperSport keeper Rowen Williams to beat.

The score was 0-0 at the interval following a first-half which was dominated by a wasteful SuperSport side.

Although SuperSport threatened first through Iqraam Rayners in the second-half with the forward failing to convert from close range, it was Stellenbosch, who broke the deadlock.

Ashley Du Preez poked the ball to Dimgba, who hit the back of the net from close range to hand Stellenbosch a 1-0 lead in the 59th minute - scoring his third goal in as many league matches.

SuperSport coach Kaitano Tembo then introduced Kudakwashe Mahashe and Thatayaone Ditlhokwe's header which lacked power was easily gathered by Stephens in the 67th minute.

Mahachi proved to be an inspired substitute with eight minutes left as the former Orlando Pirates winger fired home from close range to make it 1-1 with Rusike grabbing the assist. 

The late goal ensured that the encounter ended in a 1-1 draw with Stellenbosch and SuperSport sharing the spoils on the night. 

Stellenbosch (0) 1 (Dimgba 59')
SuperSport (0) 0 

STELLENBOSCH: Stephens, Macheke, Robertson, De Goede, Johannes, Sinkala, Jabaar, Van Rooyen, Mendieta, Du Preez (Johnson 90'+1), Dimgba (Scott 71'). 

SUPERSPORT: Williams, Philipps, Fleurs, Ditlhokwe, Bhasera, Manziba (Rusike 37'), Webber, Mbule (Mahachi 65'), Mokoena, Rayners (Waiswa 73'), Lungu.