Johannes goes from zero to hero for SuperSport

SuperSport United finally returned to winning ways at the Lucas Moripe Stadium as they beat 10-man Cape Town City 3-2 in an action-packed 2021/22 DStv Premiership clash on Wednesday.

First-half goals from Gamphani Lungu and Teboho Mokoena put Kaitano Tembo's side in a commanding position at the break, but Fagrie Lakay pulled one back from the penalty spot before Kegan Johannes scored at both ends of the pitch in the space of seven second-half minutes.

A first home victory in four games takes Matsatsantsa up to fifth place on 26 points, four ahead of the Citizens, who remain ninth after seeing their winless run on the road extended to six matches.

SuperSport were looking for an upturn in fortunes at home, having recorded just one win in their last five encounters in Atteridgeville, while City's form on their travels was equally poor.

The hosts bossed proceedings in the first half and were good value for their two-goal lead at the break.

They threatened as early as the third minute when Teboho Mokoena tried his luck with a free-kick from long range that cleared the crossbar, but the opener wasn't long in coming.

Onismor Bhasera picked out Lungu inside the box and the Zambian buried his shot into the bottom corner of the net for a ninth-minute lead.

The Citizens looked to respond and almost restored parity five minutes later through a bullet header from Idumba Fasika, who drew a superb save out of Ronwen Williams.

Back up the other end an unmarked Johannes should have done better when he steered a header wide of the post from a 19th-minute corner.

However, SuperSport doubled their advantage seven minutes later courtesy of Mokoena, whose free-kick cleared the wall and gave Hugo Marques no chance in the visiting goal.

The Mother City outfit hit back just two minutes after the restart though, with Lakay slotting home a penalty after Khanyisa Mayo had been brought down inside the area.

Marques was well placed to keep out Mokoena's 53rd-minute free-kick as the midfielder looked to repeat his feat from the first half.

The Citizens' hopes of rescuing something from the match suffered a blow just two minutes later when Thabo Nodada received his marching orders for a second bookable offense.

A flurry of action midway through the second half saw Lakay sky his free-kick over the bar before Mduduzi Mdantsane tested Williams with a low strike from distance and Kudakwashe Mahachi curled an effort wide of the post from inside the box following a quick counter from the Tshwane giants.

City were back in the contest in bizarre fashion on 72 minutes as Terrence Mashego's looping header caused panic in the home defence and Johannes steered the ball into the back of his own net.

But the SuperSport defender redeemed himself eight minutes later with a fine strike that beat Marques to put his team back in front.

Lungu should have put the game to bed on 85 minutes as he broke through on goal, only to drag his shot wide, while the offside flag came to Matsatsantsa's rescue in the final minute when Taariq Fielies thought he had snatched a dramatic equaliser.

SuperSport United (2) 3 (Lungu 9', Mokoena 27', Johannes 80')

Cape Town City (0) 2 (Lakay PEN 48', Johannes OG 73')