Royal AM see off SuperSport to go second

Royal AM moved into the CAF Champions League places after they beat SuperSport United 2-0 in a DStv Premiership clash played at the Lucas Masterpieces Moripe Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Mxolisi Macuphu fired John Maduka's side in front on 10 minutes and Victor Letsoalo sealed the win from the penalty spot 14 minutes from time.

Thwihli Thwahla leapfrogged Orlando Pirates and Kaizer Chiefs into second place, while Matsatsantsa remain unmoved in eighth position.

The Tshwane outfit were looking to bounce back from defeat to Maritzburg United last time out, while the visitors from KZN had their sights set on second spot after going unbeaten in their last two games.

Kaitano Tembo's men had the first sniff at goal after just four minutes when Iqraam Rayners drew a save out of Patrick Nyame with his venomous shot from range.

However, Royal AM would take the lead with their first attempt five minutes later as Macuphu converted a cross from Zukile Mkhize to register his third goal of the season.

The hosts were presented with a golden opportunity to hit back immediately when the referee pointed to the spot after Thamsanqa Gabuza had gone down under a challenge from Lesego Manganyi inside the area. Jamie Webber failed to capitalise though, as his penalty was saved by Nyame.

Gamphani Lungu then tested Nyame with a header from Keenan Phillips' cross on 16 minutes and the forward passed up another chance five minutes later when he fired wide at the near post following a fine pass from Webber to play him in on the right.

Nyame was called into action again on 38 minutes to punch away a free-kick from Moses Waiswa on the left directed at his near post, while Rayners narrowly missed the target with a curling effort from outside the box in the 41st minute.

Thwihli Thwahla took their slender one-goal lead into the break and Tebogo Potsane threatened to double their advantage four minutes after the restart with a strike from the edge of the area that was saved by Ronwen Williams.

But SuperSport continued to push for an equaliser, with Webber shooting from range and forcing a save out of Nyame on 58 minutes before substitute Aubrey Ngoma almost made an instant impact from the bench as he tested the visiting keeper moments later.

After Ngoma missed the target with a header from Rayners' cross on 73 minutes, Royal AM were awarded a penalty two minutes later for Guily Manziba's foul on Wandile Mabuza. Letsoalo made no mistake from the spot to take his tally for the campaign to 11 goals.

The second goal seemed to take the wind of out Matsatsantsa's sails as they succumbed to a second successive defeat.

SuperSport United (0) 0

Royal AM (1) 2 (Macuphu 9', Letsoalo 76' PEN)