Citizens miss out on record with Royal AM draw

Cape Town City were denied a record fifth straight win in the DStv Premiership after playing out to a 1-1 draw with Royal AM at the Cape Town Stadium on Saturday evening.

Mxolisi Macuphu gave the visitors the lead just before halftime, but they had to settle for a share of the spoils after Zukile Mkhize scored an own-goal to let Eric Tinkler's side back into the contest.

Thwihli Thwahla maintained the four-point gap to the Citizens, who climbed above Kaizer Chiefs into third place ahead of their clash with SuperSport United in the late kick-off.

After a quiet start to proceedings in Green Point, the game came to life around the 20-minute mark with City creating three chances in quick succession.

Thabo Nodada failed to keep a left-footed shot down from inside the area on 19 minutes and Craig Martin went close from range two minutes later as his strike narrowly missed the target.

The woodwork then came to Royal's rescue shortly afterwards when Nodada rattled the crossbar with a right-footed effort from inside the box, having received the ball from Martin.

The KZN outfit finally fashioned their first opportunity from a 26th-minute corner as Victor Letsoalo steered the ball narrowly past the right post from close range.

They would go on to finish the half strongly with Kabelo Mahlasela and Macuphu both drawing saves out of Hugo Marques from distance before breaking the deadlock on 43 minutes.

Lesego Manganyi headed a corner into the path of Macuphu, who slotted home from close range to register his fifth goal of the season.

The crowd in attendance had to wait until 20 minutes into the second half for the first bit of goalmouth action as Khanyisa Mayo pulled a left-footed shot just wide of the right post from outside the area.

Brice Ambina then tried his luck from range moments later, but saw his attempt fly just over the crossbar before the hosts went level through fortuitous circumstances on 67 minutes when Mkhize inadvertently put the ball into his own net.

Khanyisa Mayo was presented with a late chance to snatch victory for City, but he was unable to beat Patrick Nyame from close range three minutes from time after latching onto Terrence Mashego's pass.

Cape Town City (0) 1 (Mkhize 67' OG)

Royal AM (1) 1 (Macuphu 43')


Cape Town City:H. Marques, T. Mkhize, I. Fasika, T. Fielies, T. Mashego, C. Martin (M. May 61'), B. Ambina, T. Nodada (T. Mokeke 75'), J. Rhodes (K. Cupido 61'), T. Goedeman (M. Makola 61'), K. Mayo.

Royal AM:P. Nyame, L. Manganyi, M. Rikhotso, T. Lingwati, Z. Mkhize, K. Mahlasela (J. Ncobeni 90'), S. Msomi (L. Phalane 65'), T. Matlaba, N. Mabena (T. Potsane 72'), V. Letsoalo (C. George 90'), M. Macuphu (M. Thikazi 72').