Chippa get back on the winning trail

Golden Arrows' poor run of form in the DStv Premiership continued after they suffered a 2-0 defeat to Chippa United at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium on Saturday evening.

An early goal from Ronaldo Maarman put Morgan Mammila's side in the driver's seat and Craig Martin sealed the win deep into stoppage time as Abafana Bes'thende pushed for an equaliser.

The Chilli Boys halted a five-game winless run to move up to ninth position, two points behind Arrows, who dropped down to sixth place after suffering a fourth loss on the spin.

Both teams were targeting a return to winning ways after Chippa lost 2-0 to Sekhukhune United in midweek, while Mabhuti Khenyeza's side slipped to a 1-0 defeat against Cape Town City a fortnight ago.

There was no shortage of chances as Augustine Mulenga and Goodman Mosele fired wayward in the opening stages before Siyabonga Nhlapo tested Ismail Watenga with a shot from inside the area on eight minutes.

The hosts threatened again two minutes later when Roscoe Pietersen got on the end of Mulenga's cross, but steered his header straight at Watenga.

Their early dominance would pay off on 18 minutes after Maarman was brought down by Themba Mantshiyane just outside the box and the winger dusted himself off to beat Watenga with an expertly-taken free-kick.

The Eastern Cape outfit almost doubled their lead shortly afterwards, although Watenga was alert to the danger as he denied Mulenga from inside the area on the right.

Kayden Francis then missed the target with two opportunities inside the box before the visitors eventually had their first sniff at goal on 37 minutes, only for Velemseni Ndwandwe to direct a free-kick from Bradley Cross wide of the left post.

Francis did manage to get his next attempt on target in first-half stoppage time, but Watenga stood firm at his near post to make the save.

Stanley Nwabali was finally called into action three minutes into the second half to keep out Knox Mutizwa's header from Nduduzo Sibiya's cross and he also turned away a shot from Ndwandwe on 71 minutes.

Cross wasted a good chance to equalise moments later when he failed to keep his free-kick down, while Ryan Moon should perhaps have done better with a header that flew inches past the left post.

Chippa had their moments too in the second half as Mulenga shot straight at Watenga from inside the box on 75 minutes and Maarman lashed an effort high and wide of the goal three minutes later.

Abafana Bes'thende piled on the pressure in the closing stages, with Gladwin Shitolo narrowly heading wide from a corner in the 84th minute before Teboho Motloung and Mutizwa spurned late opportunities.

They were punished for over-commiting in the 97th minute when Martin latched onto a through ball from Ayabulela Konqobe and slotted past Watenga from inside the area to seal a first victory in six matches.

Chippa United 0

Golden Arrows (1) 2 (Maarman 18', Martin 90+8'))

Chippa United: S. Nwabali, S. Kammies, R. Pietersen, T. Makhele, R. Maarman (D. Appollis 90+5'), K. Francis (C. Martin 58'), G. Mosele, B. Poggenpoel, S. Nhlapo (M. Modise 46'), A. Mulenga (A. Konqobe 80'), T. Lebitso.

Golden Arrows: I. Watenga, A. Van Rooi (R. Moon 63'), T. Zuke (T. Motloung 77'), T. Mantshiyane, B. Cross, V. Ndwandwe, L. Dube, G. Shitolo, N. Zwane (B. Theron 46'), N. Sibiya, K. Mutizwa.