Late Mosemaedi equaliser denies Royal AM victory

Judas Mosemaedi stepped off the bench to bag a brace as 10-man Stellenbosch held Royal AM to a 2-2 draw at the Danie Craven Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

A dramatic DStv Premiership encounter saw Junior Mendieta fail to convert a first-half penalty after Mxolisi Macuphu had opened the scoring for Thwihli Thwahla.

Mosemaedi drew Steve Barker's side level on 63 minutes, only for Tebogo Potsane to fire the visitors back in front on 83 minutes and Zitha Macheke getting sent off for Stellies soon afterwards.

However, Mosemaedi struck at the death to clinch a share of the spoils against the odds to deny Royal AM a third win on the spin.

Stellenbosch were looking to make it three games unbeaten at home in an attempt to close the five-point gap to high-flying Royal AM, who had won their last two matches.

The hosts had the first sniff at goal on 10 minutes as Ashley Du Preez lined up a shot from range that drew a fine save out of Patrick Nyame.

However, the KZN outfit scored from their first attempt four minutes later when Macuphu received the ball from Thabo Matlaba and buried his shot into the bottom left corner of the net from inside the area.

The Maroons should have hit back on 25 minutes after being awarded a penalty for Kabelo Mahlasela's foul on Stanley Dimgba, but Nyame guessed correctly to deny Mendieta from 12 yards out.

Victor Letsoalo tested Sage Stephens with an effort from distance on the half-hour mark and Mokete Mogaila almost doubled the visitors' lead moments later after being played in by Ndumiso Mabena, but his angled shot flew just wide of the left post.

Dimgba gave Nyame more work to do in the 36th minute with a long-range strike that was comfortably saved, with Stellies creating more chances in the first half but having nothing to show for their six attempts at goal.

Royal AM fashioned an early chance after the restart as Macuphu found space inside the box on the right and forced Stephens into a save on 54 minutes.

Barker then made three substitutions just before the hour mark, bringing on Mosemaedi, Antonio Van Wyk and Jayden Adams.

The changes paid off almost immediately as Mosemaedi scored within four minutes of his introduction from the bench, with Van Wyk setting him up inside the box.

Mabena went close to restoring Royal AM's lead on 77 minutes with a free-kick that sailed narrowly past the right post, while at the other end Van Wyk and Mosemaedi combined again, although the latter's shot was saved by Nyame on this occasion.

There was late drama to come as substitute Potsane put Thwihli Thwahla ahead seven minutes from time with a finish from close range following a swift counter and matters got worse for Stellies three minutes later when Macheke received his marching orders for a second yellow card.

But Mosemaedi would have the final say as he pounced from close range in the final minute to rescue a point the Cape Winelands club.

Stellenbosch (0) 2 (Mosemaedi 63', 89')

Royal AM (1) 2 (Macuphu 14', Potsane 83')


Stellenbosch:S. Stephens, D. van Rooyen, Z. Macheke, A. Mcaba, M. van Heerden, S. Dimgba (A. Van Wyk 59'), S. Mthethwa, I. Jabaar (J. Adams 59'), A. Du Preez (M. De Goede 90+4'), J. Ortiz (S. Khunyedi 82'), J. Mendieta (J. Mosemaedi 59').

Royal AM:P. Nyame, S. Kobedi, M. Rikhotso, L. Manganyi, M. Mogaila (S. Matjila 46'), K. Mahlasela (M Masuku 79'), G. Mashikinya (J. Ncobeni 79'), T. Matlaba, N. Mabena (M. Thikazi 79'), V. Letsoalo (T. Potsane 65'), M. Macuphu.