Chippa fight back to hold City

Chippa United came back to hold Cape Town City to a 1-1 draw in the DStv Premiership match at the Cape Town Stadium on Saturday evening.

The draw saw the two teams start the new 2020/21 campaign with a draw in the Mother City.

The Chilli Boys were the better side in the opening stages of the match with Ramasimong Maloisane and Sizwe Mdlinzo combing well.

Maloisane forced City goalkeeper Peter Leeuwenburgh into fantastic diving safe with a long-range shot in the 19th minute.

The Citizens grew in confidence as the match progressed and they managed to break the deadlock following a mistake by Chippa goalkeeper Veli Mothwa.

The towering shot-stopper gave away possession to Mduduzi Mdantsane, who made no mistake as he hit the back of the net to make it 1-0 to Chippa in the 22nd minute.

Chippa had to find a way to restore parity and they upped the tempo after the half-hour mark.

However, Leeuwenburgh, who was in top form in the first-half, produced another great save to deny Xolani Maholo towards the halftime break.

The score was 1-0 to City during the halftime following a first-half which saw Chippa create chances which they failed to convert.

The Chilli Boys did most of the attacking after the restart following their haft-time team talk with coach Lehlohonolo Seema.

The visitors deservedly level matters in the 53rd minute when Augustine Chidi Kwem beat his marker, before firing past Leeuwenburgh at the near-post to make it 1-1.

Chippa were hungry for more goals and they came close to taking the lead for the first time on the night in the 67th minute.

Frederic Nsabiyumva's powerful header beat Leeuwenburgh, but the crossbar came to the hosts' rescue and they cleared their lines.

The Citizens attacked in numbers in the closing stages of the match, but they were left vulnerable at the back and they were nearly punished by Bienvenu Eva Nga.

The Cameroonian striker watched on in disbelief as his effort was cleared off the goal-line by Thato Mokeke and City survived a late scare.

Ultimately, the match ended in 1-1 stalemate with City and Chippa sharing the spoils on the night.

City (1) 1 (Mdantsane 22')

Chippa (0) 1 (Kwem 53')


Cape Town City: Leeuwenburgh, Mokeke, Mkhize (Zulu 60'), Fielies, Mobara, Edmilson (George 69'), Nodada, Martin, Roberts (Roberts 46'), Morris, Mdantsane.

Chippa United: Mothwa, Nsabiyumva, Nhlapo, Mdlinzo (Mokhele 46'), Hanamub, Rae, Maholo (Manqola 90'+2), Ramasimong, Damons, Kwem (Eva Ega 78'), Dinge (Cezu 83').