Rockets shoot down Matsatsantsa

TS Galaxy continued their impressive start of the new DStv Premiership season after they recorded a 2-0 victory over SuperSport United at the Mbombela Stadium on Sunday evening.

Given Msimango opened the scoring two minutes before half time and Ebrahim Seedat added a second in the 66th minute to make it two wins on the spin for the unbeaten Rockets.

Sead Ramovic's side share the lead with newly-promoted Richards Bay on seven points, with Matsatsantsa lurking in 14th place after collecting just one point from their opening three matches.

Galaxy came into the clash on the back of a morale-boosting 1-0 win over defending champions Mamelodi Sundowns, while Gavin Hunt's troops squandered the lead to lose 2-1 to AmaZulu last time out.

The game was played at a frenetic pace as the two teams looked to establish their dominance over each other early on, with the hosts going on to enjoy the lion's share of the possession.

They had the first sniff at goal after just eight minutes when new signing Sibusiso Vilakazi produced a moment of magic inside the box to draw a superb save out of Boalefa Pule.

The Rockets threatened again two minutes later as Aphelele Teto tested Pule with a strike from range before Matsatsantsa went on the attack and Kegan Johannes crossed for Bradley Grobler, who headed wide of the left post in the 13th minute.

The visitors then enjoyed a good passage of play, with Jamie Webber blazing over from distance, while Gamphani Lungu forced Melusi Buthelezi into a save from inside the area and skying his effort from the resulting corner.

Buthelezi was also required to keep out Kegan Johannes's header from Aubrey Ngoma's cross on 37 minutes and it proved a crucial save as Galaxy hit the front in the 43rd minute, Msimango climbing highest to power a header past Pule from a corner.

The Pretoria giants were quickly out of the blocks in the second half as Webber latched onto a cross from Lungu and fired over the target from inside the area in the 46th minute.

There were chances at both ends soon afterwards, with Pule producing another fine save to deny Lindokuhle Mbatha from inside the box on 52 minutes before Buthelezi was called into action to prevent Bradley Grobler's long-range strike from evening matters.

But it was the home fans celebrating again on 66 minutes as Seedat beat Pule from close range to cap off a well-orchestrated move and double Galaxy's lead.

SuperSport looked to respond and Thapelo Maseko lined up a shot from long range that drifted to the right of the goal on 72 minutes before Grobler gave Buthelezi more work to do moments later with his header from Johannes's cross.

The action quickly switched to the other end as Kamogelo Sebelebele let fly from outside the area and Pule had to make another good save, while Maseko failed to trouble Buthelezi in the 80th minute after Iqraam Rayners had picked him out inside the area with a great delivery.

Matsatsantsa continued to search for a reply in the closing stages and Buthelezi pulled off another good save from Siyabonga Nhlapo's long-range effort in the 85th minute before Thabang Sibanyoni steered a header past the right post from Johannes's cross.

Sebelebele almost made it 3-0 in stoppage time after receiving the ball from Orebotse Mongae inside the box, but Pule was well placed to keep him out. TS Galaxy (1) 1 (Msimango 43', Seedat 66')
SuperSport (0) 0

TS Galaxy: M. Buthelezi, M. Munyai, E. Seedat, S. Msimango, P. Sanoka, B. Aubaas, A. Teto (O. Mongae 79'), M. Mbunjana, L. Hlongwane (X. Mlambo 58'), L. Mbatha (S. Mahlangu 78'), S. Vilakazi (K. Sebelebele 64').

SuperSport United: B. Pule, K. Johannes, T. Hlatshwayo, T. Ditlhokwe, S. Nhlapo, G. Margeman (T. Sibanyoni 64'), G. Lungu (I. Rayners 73'), L. Fleurs, A. Ngoma (S. Rasebotja 59'), B. Grobler (T. Gabuza 73'), J. Webber (T. Maseko 59').