Amatuks continue winless streak

University of Pretoria played to a 1-1 draw against Bloemfontein Celtic in an Absa Premiership encounter at Tuks stadium on Wednesday night.

A third minute own goal by Vincent Kobola was cancelled out by a Aubrey Ngoma’s strike on the half hour mark. The draw means that AmaTuks remain without a win since the turn of the year.

Both sides locked horns with Sowetan opposition in their previous game. AmaTuks held defending champions Orlando Pirates to a goalless draw away from home, while Phunya Sele Sele were thumped 3-0 by log leaders Kaizer Chiefs.

Celtic dominated the early exchanges as they looked to avenge their humiliating loss over the course of the Easter weekend.

The early pressure paid off for the away side as early as the third minute of the game. Vincent Kobola guided the ball into his own net from a Joel Mogorosi cross to give the away side the lead.

AmaTuks’ first chance on game came through an Aubrey Ngoma free kick in the ninth minute of the game. Ngoma hit the ball sweetly from the edge of the area but Patrick Tignyemb managed to direct the ball into the path of his teammates, who cleared away from danger.

Ngoma equalised for the University side on the half hour mark after sustained possession in Celtic’s half. Mpho Matsi played a neat ball through to Ngoma, who beat the offside trap and smartly rounded Tignyemb before passing the ball into the empty net.

The elusive midfielder had a chance to give his side the lead going into the break. Ngoma’s powerful free-kick evaded everyone in the box and Tignyemb was forced into a good save to keep the score all tied up.

Phunya Sele Sele controlled the early proceedings but AmaTuks fought back well and ended the first half the stronger of the two sides.

Celtic started the second half the strongest of the two sides as they looked to snap up an early goal.

The home side sat deep and camped in their own half for the first part of the second stanza. Celtic dominated possession but were struggling to break down the stubborn AmaTuks defence and subsequently had to settle with trying their luck from long range.

The University side created the first real clear cut chance of the half in the 75th minute of the game. Ngoma yet again outsmarted the Celtic defence and laid it on a plate for second half substitute Ayanda Lubelo, but the midfielder could only manage to direct his effort straight at the Siwelele shot stopper.

AmaTuks created another good chance three minutes later through Lionel Mutizwa. Bongani Zunga made a good run from deep before passing to the Zimbabwean on the edge of the area, and the midfielder’s shot though was comfortably gathered by Tignyemb.

Lerato Manzini had a chance to grab all three points for his side in the 87th minute of the game, but the Celtic substitute was only able to direct his volley from outside the area wide of Washington Arubi’s right hand upright.

Despite both sides going for the killer goal in the final minutes of the match, it ended 1-1. The stalemate didn’t change the Premiership log. Celtic remain in ninth spot while AmaTuks occupy 10th position.

University of Pretoria (1) 1 (Ngoma 30’)

Bloemfontein Celtic (1) 1 (Kobola og 3’)


AmaTuks: Arubi, Kobola (Lubelo 59’), Mkhwanazi, Shoyisa, Moussono-Moussono, Ngubane, Ketjijere, Matsi, Zungu (Ngwenya 87’), Ngoma, Sekotlong (Mutizwa 66’)

Bloemfontein Celtic: Tignyemb, Mahoa, Nthethe, Isaacs, Mzava, Lakay (Manzini 83’), Lentjies (Gamildien 57’), Mogorosi (Ntanga 86’), Arwuah, Madubanya, Bacela