Chippa hold Tuks to stay alive

A late equaliser saw Chippa United grabbing a 2-2 draw with the University of Pretoria at the Philippi Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The home side scored first, but watched as Tuks netted two quick-fire second half goals before Mkhanyiseli Siwahla ensured a point with a last-minute strike.

Chippa dominated early ball possession and territory, but failed to carve out any chances.

Finally on 20 minutes and the home side had a great opportunity when Issa Sarr’s angled cross picked out Asavela Mbekile, but with plenty of time, his header was a poor one, directed straight at Tuks keeper Washington Arubi

A few minutes later and Chippa were again close to breaking the deadlock when Andile Mbenyane fired in a free kick towards the top corner, but Arubi did well to push the ball over the bar.

The Tshwane side’s only moment on goal came when Mame Niang’s cushioned header picked out Aubrey Ngoma, who did well to create space, but his shot was blocked by Vuyisile Nthombayithethi.

Chippa goalkeeper Tashrique Goldman was then called into action five minutes before the break, doing well to clear the ball after Sarr’s defensive header had nearly ended up in his own net.

The deadlock was broken in the 42nd minute as Tsepho Tomanyane’s corner ended up in the back of the net, the ball hitting Siyabonga Ngubane on the line before going into goal.

There was almost a replica goal just before the break as William Twala’s header from Tomyane’s cross was tipped over.

It took the visiting team just six second half minutes to level the game, substitute Thabo Mosadi pinching the ball off Sarr before racing 40-yards to goal and then lifting the ball over Goldman and into goal

The next chance came at the other end and saw Msekile Mvalo heading over the bar with the goal at his mercy just before the hour mark, while a couple of minutes later Tuks’ David Radebe sent a curler wide.

Mbenyane was then close for Chippa, but his angled drive was superbly palmed away by Arubi.

Tuks were to take the lead for the first time in the game after 65 minutes when Radebe’s through ball picked out Mosadi, who beat the off-side trap before looping a header over Goldman and into goal.

Twala thought he had levelled matters a few minutes later, but his effort was correctly ruled off-sides.

The Chilli Boys struggled to create chances after that, having to wait until the 82nd minute, but Stanton Lewis saw his effort from right yards out going into the side-netting.

But the Cape side were not going down without a fight and they grabbed a share of the spoils in the 90th minute when Mkhanyiseli Siwahla netted with a superb volley.

Chippa United (1) 1 (Tomanyane 42’, Siwahla 90‘)

University of Pretoria (0) 2 (Mosadi 52’, 65‘)

Chippa (4-4-1-1): Goldman, Nthombayithethi, Okwuosa, Mvalo, Tomanyane (Lewis 77‘), Mbekile, Issa, Twala (Siwahla 69‘), Carelse (Qalanto 61‘), Mbenyane, Mwaruwari

Tuks (4-4-2): Arubi, Ngubane, Shoyisa, Mkhwanazi, Moussono-Moussono, Ketjijere, Oluwafemi (Radebe 56’), Zungu, Ngoma, Maruping (Mosadi 46‘), Niang