Chippa reach Nedbank Cup quarterfinals

Kurt Lentjies and Mark Mayambela scored a goal apiece Chippa United defeated Tshakhuma Tsha Madzivhandila 2-0 in a Nedbank Cup last 16 match played at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The Chilli Boys were worthy winners in a fine cup tie in Port Elizabeth and should have won by a greater margin against the National First Division representatives.

Tshakhuma created the first opening of the game, with some neat passing allowing Edward Manqele the chance to turn and get a shot away from the middle of the penalty area, but his low effort was well saved by Mnbongeni Mzimela.

As the half wore on, Chippa took greater control of proceedings and began to create chances, though too often their final pass or shot lacked the necessary precision to open up their opponent’s defence.

The hosts’ first real effort on goal arrived in the 34th minute when a loose ball fell kindly for Kurt Lentjies, but he only managed to strike his effort straight at TTM goalkeeper Tshepo Ramaele.

The ‘keeper was called into more significant action in the dying minutes of the first half, showing good positioning and sharp reflexes to keep out powerful shots on target from Boikanyo Komane and Tercious Malepe.

With the match goalless at the break, Chippa made a positive change at the start of the second half by introducing attacker Andile Mbenyane in place of left-back Phetso Maphanga. With more impetus in the final third, it seemed only a matter of ‘when’ and not ‘if’ the Chilli Boys would take the lead.

The goal duly arrived in the 51st minute, with Thabo Rakhale providing a fine cross from the right flank which picked out Lenjties: the veteran showed great composure to hang in the air and pick his spot with a well-placed header.

TTM had offered little in attack since the opening minutes, but midway through the second half they put together a fine passing move which gave Nhlanhla Mgaga a sight of goal, but he was denied by a last-gasp block tackle from Gladwin Shitolo.

Chippa should have killed off the game in the 84th minute, with Komane showing some neat footwork down the left of the penalty area before chipping a cross to the far post – Shitolo got on the end of the ball but saw his header rebound off the crossbar.

Chippa ended the match with 10 men when Mbenyane was shown a straight red card late on for what seemed a relatively innocuous challenge with Khunadi Nkoana. Nonetheless, the hosts added a second in injury time when Mark Mayambela turned home a cross from fellow substitute Ruzaigh Gamildien.

Chippa United (0) 2 (Lentjies 51’, Mayambela 90+4’)

Tshakhuma Tsha Madzivhandila 0

Chippa: Mzimela, Macheke, Makobela, Shitolo, Maphanga (Mbenyane 46’), Rakhale (Mayambela 76’), Konane, Malepe, Tlolane, Lentjies, L. Manzini (Gamildien 67’)

TTM: Ramaele, Meso, Nyadombo, Makgoga, Mabotja (Bhengu 84’), Makhubo (Ndlondlo 58’), Nkoana, Mgaga, Ononogbu, Manqele, Nevhulamba (Mokoena 40’)