Sundowns sink Chippa on penalties to advance in Telkom KO

Mamelodi Sundowns beat 10-man Chippa United 4-3 in a penalty shootout (2-2 after extra-time) at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium in Port Elizabeth on Sunday afternoon, to book their place in the semifinals of this season's Telkom Knockout Cup.

Both William Twala and Lehlogonolo Masalesa came up short from the spot while the Brazilians were faultless from 12 yards following a thrilling 120 minutes of football.

Augustine Kwem and Silas Maziya handed the hosts the lead on two separate occasions in regulation time, but Gaston Sirino pulled the defending league champions back on level terms with a second half brace.

The Chilli Boys drew first blood as Tercious Malepe slipped a superb through ball to Kwem who made no mistake as he rolled the ball into the back of the net for his first goal for the Eastern Cape club.

Kwem should've doubled his side's lead in the 36th minute following a superb team move, but Denis Onyango came to the visitors rescue and the Ugandan's stop resulted in a shift of momentum in favour of the Brazilians.

Mauricio Affonso failed to convert his header attempt eight minutes later before Sirino watched on in agony as his deflected shot cannoned off the base of the post with Patrick Tignyemb well beaten.

Sundowns carried that momentum into the second half and pulled level in the 51st minute following a foul on Phakamani Mahlambi inside the penalty area. Sirino stepped up to the spot and made no mistake to draw the two teams level.

Chippa hit back seven minutes later as Maziya fired home from an almost impossible angle with his unorthodox volley looping over the head of Onyango and into the back of the net.

Sundowns, though, were not going down without a fight and Sirino profited from a Tignyemb mistake to send the game into extra-time. The Uruguayan left with the easiest of finishes after the Chippa shot-stopper spilt a routine take.

Chippa were dealt further a blow 11 minutes into extra-time as Tercious Malepe received his marching orders, but Sundowns couldn't make the man advantage count in their favour as the game would ultimately be decided from the spot.

Onyango saved Twala's opening kick and this laid the foundation for the Tshwane giants who netted all four of their penalties before Masalesa pushed his effort wide of goal.

Chippa United (1) 2 (Kwem 13' Maziya 58')

Mamelodi Sundowns (0) 2 (Sirino 51' 70')

Sundowns won 4-3 on penalties.

Chippa United: Tignyemb; Modisane, K. Moyo, Nsabiyumva, E. Moyo, Maziya (Lentjies 65'), Masalesa, Mahola (Maphanga 82'), Twala, Malepe, Kwem (R. Manzini 90+2').

Mamelodi Sundowns: Onyango; Morena, Madisha, Lebusa, Langerman, Mabunda, Kekana, Meza (Mahlambi 46') [Mkhulise 105+1'], Vilakazi, Sirino (Lakay 76'), Affonso.